The Impossible Dream Headline Animator

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Facebook Showdown

I AM!

And I will be the first to say that I maintain a facebook account that brings me plenty of joy.

So get started, join, sign up, and start telling the world what you are doing, who you are dating, and what events you are attending.

Go on... get started...


AND NOW A WARNING.

It will be next to impossible to erase your account from Facebook if there ever becomes a need to do it. Why? Because they have made it next to impossible. You will be required to delete each and every entry ever made into your facebook account, one by one by one. It will take days. And when you are finished, they will send you an e-mail saying there is a bit mroe they need you to do...

All of your credit card accounts that you have entered, your phone numbers, your e-mail addresses, your real address, your friends names, their family, your families pictures...All of it will be available for a very long time.

It occurred to me, while deciding on whether I would want an employer to randomly be able to find my name, my friends, and other things on the site that I hardly like to share with anyone but my closest friends.

I researched how one would erase their entire life off of the net, if it was on something like facebook.


I found, at one point of pure exhausted effort, that it would be easier to single handedly create the universe.

In other words, maintain a social site at your own risk. Just remember: It may be easier to just go to the local coffee shop and develop friends than to create a social world on the net. At least, it will be in the long run.

As for me, I will continue to maintain my social networking site. Why? Because I am already stuck, and I will lose less sleep if I just tailor what it is I write about myself, rather than attempt to erase everything that came before.

Happy networking!

No comments:

 
Changing LINKS